March 17, 2015

The Reading Book Post, March 16th



Another week has begun, but let's take a moment and see what happened in the literary world the previous days. 

  • This is the time of the season when a lot of prizes annonce their longlists, and some even their shortlists. As we have seen, in the previous weeks the Romantic Novelist's Association announced the shortlists for the six categories and this week other organizations announced their lists. First, the Baileys Women's Prize for Fiction announced the longlist, consisting 20 novels. The judges will have to choose 6 of those and the final winner will be announced on 3rd June 2015. Moreover, the Wellcome Book Prize made this video announcement of the shortlist and the winner will be revealed on 29th April 2015. The Independent Foreign Fiction Prize longlist was announced this week and the shortlist is due next month. Finally, George R. R. Martin nominated Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel for the Hugo Awards, a book well received by the science fiction community.

  • Umberto Eco, the italian author of The Name of the Rose, will be releasing a new satirical novel on 3rd November 2015, named Numero Zero. The book is already published in Italy and is well-received, while its foreign rights are already sold to 34 countries.

  • Are there any Mr. Darcy fans? I have some disturbing news for you (well, myself included). Author Joanna Trollope has argued that the much admired gentleman of the romantic literature has probably made his 10,000 pounds per year from exploitation, slavery included. Shocking right?

  • The new Star Wars novel, Lords of the Sith, will include a lesbian character. The author of the novel Paul. S. Kemp has comfirmed that there will be indeed such a character. Lord of the Sith will be available on 28th April. Another book already added to my TBR list. 

  • Kazuo Ishiguro has written lyrics for the jazz singer Stacey Kent. I wasn't aware of the fact and this interesting interview revealed other sides of the well known author, such as his experience as a lyricist and his family. 
  • This week it was a really sad one. The much beloved author Sir Terry Pratchett died at the age of 66. The whole literary world is shaken by the news and a lot of novelists payed tribute to him sharing their memories and how his work affected theirs. Neil Gaiman, which was a friend of Terry Pratchett the last 30 years, talked about him and remembered him at the Jewish Community Center of San Francisco Thursday night.


  • To change the mood, I will end this post with this gallery of Premier League's footballers holding their favourite books. It's so interesting to see the different tastes of each one of them.    

6 comments:

  1. a lot of players read dr seuss? didnt see that comin..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay Given recommended Artemis Fowl! I love this series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I didn't know that Station Eleven had been nominated for a Hugo. I'm listening to the audiobook at the moment and it's pretty good.

    In regards to Terry Pratchett, I was really saddened to hear the news of his passing. I read 13 of his Discworld books a while back and, while I enjoyed them immensely, I didn't grasp his true brilliance. I think I'll go back and read the rest now and maybe I'll be able to truly connect with them. I'm not saying I didn't like them, I'm just saying that I rarely felt the emotional connection that many others had. Anyway, it's been a while now and I've read far more diverse genres so I'm sure I'll love them ever more. Guards! Guards! here I come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want to reread some of the Discworld books, or read some that I haven't read. Maybe later in the spring it would be a good time.

      I haven't read Station Eleven yet, although I have it on my bookselves some time now, but I keep hearing very positive things about it.

      Delete
  4. Wow, it's truly is interesting to see the favorite books of football players! I like that many of them hold children books because I have special place in my heart for one of my childhood book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I believe that it's got something to do with the World Book Day that was celebrated last week in Great Britain and Ireland.

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)