June 29, 2015

The Reading Book Post, June 29th

The Reading Book Post with the most interesting literary news of the previous week

Hello, everyone! I'm back from the mini-break I had, in order to attend my cousin's wedding. I'm still tired since I arrived late last night. I'm also very preoccupied with the situation in Greece these days. But let's take a look at the literary news of the previous week.

  • The 2015 Locus Awards Winners were announced last Saturday. Among the winners were Ann Leckie with her novel Ancillary Sword and Katherine Addison for her novel The Goblin Emperor. Also, The Betty Trask Award was given to Ben Fergusson for his debut novel The Spring of Kasper Meier. Finally, the Miles Franklin Literary Award was bestowed upon Sophia Laguna for her novel The Eye of the Sheep.


  • The Secret Loves of Geek Girls is a project that includes true stories about love, sex, and dating. For this project, there are more than 40 female contributors, among those is Margaret Atwood. The Kickstarter campaign has already gathered $52,624 CAD, which is more than the original goal and 25 more days remain for its completion. 


  • Fight Club for kids? The author, Chuck Palahniuk, reads it on camera. Too bad, that this book it's not actually true. 


  • Columbia University Press will make new translations of several Russian modern literature novels, as well as classics. The first publications are estimated to be made in 2017.


  • Some Harry Potter news! Look how the illustrations came to be as we all know and love them. Also, J.K. Rowling has revealed on Pottermore why the Dursleys dislike Harry so much. 


  • An alternative ending was discovered by scholars at Cambridge University for the novella that inspired the film Eyes Wide Shut. The novella by Arthur Schnitzler is called Traumnovelle or Dream Story was first published on 1925. The alternative ending suggests that the doctor rather than observing the masked orgy, participated in it.


  • Since Grey has just been published this week's quiz will have to do about the fictional billionaire. Can you guess who said each quote: Christian Grey or a Disney villain?


8 comments:

  1. I never tire of seeing new HP illustrations, they blow me away each time:) I also can't wait to take the quiz to see who said what, I have a feeling it's going to be hard to tell ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's indeed quite hard! Let me know of your results :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for Harry Potter news! Related: I need to travel to England to see that Harry Potter play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the play will be amazing! There is still time to plan a trip to England until 2016 :)

      Delete
  3. Harry Potter Illustrations! :) Fight club for kids news was very cool!

    Raashi
    http://raashiagarwal.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tagged you to do the Bookish Academy Tag! Rules are on my blog here: http://erikabooksandstars.blogspot.ca/2015/07/bookish-academy-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Seems like a very interesting tag :)
      I'm going to do it as soon as I can!

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)