December 28, 2015

The Reading Book Post, December 28th


Hello, everyone!Merry Christmas and happy holidays! Only a few days of 2015 are left and I can't wait to welcome the new year. Plus, The Reading Armchair's blogiversary is approaching. The Reading Book Post this week is mostly Christmas-themed, so enjoy.

  • 82 literary critics have created for the BBC a list of the 100 best British books. The results show that many of these books were written by women. The list is pretty interesting!



  • What's better than listening to a Christmas story? Listen to Ja Rule read How the Grinch Stole Christmas!  for the BBC Radio 1.


  • And if you want to listen to more stories there are plenty of celebrities who have read our most beloved Christmas tales, like The Polar Express, The Night Before Christmas and A Christmas Carol. Enjoy!




  • Have you ever wondered what is the origin of all of the Christmas words we use? Santa Clause, Mistletoe, Tinsel, Carol and many other words are explained. I would never guess the origin of some of those words!


  • Listen to these five clips from the children's books. Can you guess from which books they are and who narrates them? That's one tricky quiz!


  • Which "A Christmas Carol" Character Are You? Take the quiz to find out! I got Tiny Tim, which one  are you?

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these posts!
    If you're interested, I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog! http://imlovingbooks.blogspot.nl/2015/12/review-fostered-and-christmas-giveaway.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm taking a look at your giveaway right now :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, fun post linkups, I was actually just wondering where the word Mistletoe came from. Thanks for sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! All those Christmas words have such interesting origins! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! We do always use the Christmas words but often don't know where it comes from. Thanks to you post I do now :D Haha and ohhh I took the quiz and got Tiny Tim too :) Yaay! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you Aeriko :D Enjoy! Wish you all the best :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg I love listening to Christmas stories! The audio versions are always so much more festive :). Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg I love listening to Christmas stories! The audio versions are always so much more festive :). Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You found some really interesting stories to share. I didn't get a chance to listen to any Christmas stories this year but I did squeeze in time to read a few this year. Thanks for sharing!

    Carole @ Carole's Random Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Every year I try to read something that goes with the season :)

      Delete
  7. Woah, you play piano, that's amazing. I am jealous of people who play any musical instrument. I'd like to think that I've got a nice singing voice but,yeah, I just think that and it's not necessarily a solid fact.

    Speaking of voices, I clicked your link of celebrity readings to find out if any Brit celebrity did some reading. No luck though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course there are! Liam Neeson, Neil Gaiman and Patrick Stewart are all British! I enjoyed especially the story read by the latter :)

      Delete

Hello, everyone! Thanks for stopping by. I value comments a lot. So if you have anything to say feel free to express yourselves on the comments below! I try to respond to all of your comments and if you leave a link to your blog I will visit it :)